Hello adventurers! What began as fixing some tech debt for the Tangledeep codebase turned into a epic project to essentially re-port the game to Nintendo Switch. But at last, the PC and Switch codebases of the game have been merged, and Switch players can now enjoy over a year's worth of updates and improvements. Let's dive in and see what changed!
This patch introduces Ronin Mode to Nintendo Switch, a new challenge that gives you a wildly-variable set of skills, new monster encounters, and a streamlined dungeon. In this mode, you do not pick a job. In fact, the job system is effectively removed!
Instead, when you start the game, you are assigned 12 random active abilities and 6 random passive abilities, all of which are purchased with JP. These abilities come from an enormous pool of skills and include over 50 NEW, never-before-learnable skills such as effects from Legendary items. We guarantee you will find some interesting combinations!
As you venture through Tangledeep as a Ronin, you'll also find not just more monsters, but also randomly-generated monsters (similar to Wanderer's Journeys in Legend of Shara) fighting alongside the monster ensemble you're used to.
You'll have to use observation, tactics, and ingenuity to learn the abilities & patterns of these new monsters and overcome them. Not to mention... they can be captured as pets!
If your character is defeated, you'll retain your "meta" progress like in Heroic Mode, but you will have to roll a new character with new skills. That's just how it is!
OTHER RONIN MODE CHANGES
There are a variety of other tweaks in Ronin Mode to generally streamline the game and encourage that "one more run" style of gameplay we all know and love.
- Gold find rate is increased by 33%
- Magic items (equipment w/ affixes) are now +10% more common
- Orbs of Reverie are more common
- You can now access Job Trials anytime, as long as you have the JP
- You can switch clothes at the wardrobe anytime, to any job
- A powerful RELIC will be dropped by each of the 4 major bosses
- Weapon Masteries cannot be learned, except for Ultimate Masteries, but may be assigned as starting skill(s)
- The Mysterious Wanderer (from Legend of Shara) is no longer available
- Either Old Amber Station OR Fungal Caverns, and Ancient Ruins OR Stonehewn Halls, have been removed (no need to backtrack / jump back and forth between branches)
Overall, we hope that you'll find Ronin Mode a blast to play, even if you've beaten the game 10 times over. There's a lot of new possibilities and exciting encounters to discover. Good luck!
SHARED STASH, CORRAL, UNLOCKS
All save slots now share ONE banker with shared items, gold, and item capacity. Also, unlocks such as jobs, feats, Shara mode (for Legend of Shara DLC, etc) are now global across all slots. This is stored in the new "shareddata.xml" folder in your save directory.
Finally, corral pets are ALSO now shared between slots. The max limit for actively usable pets in the corral is still 12; any pets beyond that will be seen wandering around, but they will not be usable unless you release other pets first.
To sync existing progress to the shared progress you must load each of your save files then save the game (i.e. go back to the title screen.)
Of course, hardcore, Challenge, and Ronin modes do NOT access the shared stash or corral. However, job & feat unlocks will carry over into those modes.
PET GROOMING EXPANDED
Various changes have been made to the pet monster system, specifically with grooming at the corral. First, you can now groom up to 10 times; each one will cost a bit more. Second, a pet's beauty can now confer a special passive status if they are anything other than "Plain". For example, very ugly pets may draw more aggro, or be so repulsive that they scare other monsters away. Beautiful pets may blind enemies with their perfect complexion or charm them to fight on your side.
Finally, additional grooming options have been added to let you adjust both beauty and happiness in either direction (up or down).
RUMOR QUALITY OF LIFE
If you have explored at least one floor of one dungeon "branch" (e.g. Amber Station) but not the other (e.g. Fungal Caverns), you will no longer get rumors for that other branch, unless they are for discovering new areas (like the casino).
If a rumor involves a monster that has become trivial to defeat, or an item that is low quality compared to your level, it will be automatically abandoned after a couple in-game days. This will never happen with legendary items, set items, Item Dream rumors, or rumors involving finding new areas. (This option may be toggled on/off)
Text will now appear on the screen indicating current rumors on your current floor (or nearby) so you don’t have to keep checking your log.
You can now "speak" with the wardrobe in town, and, for a small fee, enable a seasonal event such as Halloween or Lunar New Year. These events persist across save files and do make the game somewhat easier by enabling more drops and goodies. But, they're a lot of fun, so use them how you want. Here are the elements of the Lunar New Year event:
LUNAR NEW YEAR QUEST
Tsukida the Moon Rabbit has arrived with a quest for Mirai; help out, and you can get a powerful legendary item new in this patch!
LUNAR NEW YEAR TREATS
You can now find traditional Chinese food and drink in the world of Tangledeep, especially from champion and boss monsters, such as a Jumbo Dumpling, Five-Spice Peanuts, Sesame Buns, and Fresh Black Tea, all with brand-new effects. You might even come across some traditional lucky red envelopes full of money!
LUNAR NEW YEAR SWORD DANCER SKIN
The look of the Sword Dancer job has been adjusted to match the garb of the legendary warrior Fa Mulan. It's a perfect fit, since the Sword Dancer's style and abilities are already based on Chinese sword fighting.
LUNAR NEW YEAR FESTIVE RIVERSTONE CAMP
The town has been decorated with lights and lanterns, and the classic town music has been rearranged using traditional Chinese instruments mixed with original soundtrack instruments.
LUNAR NEW YEAR SPLASH ART
Enjoy a beautiful new loading screen painted by Grace Liu.
GENERAL GAME BALANCE
- Frostspike damage reduced by 50%
- Elemental Kings (rumor bosses) toned down across the board (health, damage, defense)
- Added gentle damage scaling that tones down particularly large damage spikes within a single turn (i.e. chunky attacks that deal >25% of your health), does not apply to New Game+ or Savage World however.
CONTENT / FEATURES
- Ronin Mode, pet grooming improvements, rumor improvements, seasonal event toggles (per above)
- New feature: "Auto Eat Food" (on/off toggle in options). When enabled, if your Health is below 50% and it has been 10 turns since you've been in combat, you will automatically start eating healing food from your inventory. Tangledeep Curries will be prioritized.
- Encounter three strange new beasts: the confused, chaotic DiJiang (lower level), the bringer of fire Bifang (mid-level), and the incredibly powerful Nian (high level.) During the Lunar New Year celebration, you will find these monsters more frequently; after it ends, they will be rare spawns.
- We've created four new legendary weapons plus a new legendary accessory based on Chinese mythology, all with new and unique effects and sprites. These effects can also be discovered on Relic items.
- The Chinese localization has been updated and improved, and missing strings have been corrected in all languages.
- Many other localization fixes and improvements
QUALITY OF LIFE
- When attacking an object that harms you upon destroying it (such as a monster’s summoned ice block), you will ALWAYS receive a warning prompt the first time you try to strike it on a given turn. Always.
- Favorited items are always shown at the top of your item/equipment list after ANY sort is performed
- Added subtle UI pulse to the Snack Bag and Flask icons if you are at or below ~60% Health, if you *could* use your flask or eat healing food
- Story cutscenes and dialogs are now skipped in New Game+ and Savage World
- Snack Bag now opens much faster; items in the Snack Bag are also sorted with Health restoratives at the top, always
- New "transparent minimap" option is available, ported from the Switch version of the game
- Added a new prompt if you try to switch gear, when doing so would cause you to fail a rumor.
- Added logic that should detect & correct "bad" map generation where starting stairs are encased in stone
- Fixed bug where certain shops would serve you low-level items once you hit level 16 or higher
- Fixed bug where you could initiate a conversation with Horatio after beating him, but before the correct story dialogue took place
- Fixed bug where losing an Ancient Jungle map could sometimes cause the game to freeze / progress to be reset
- Fixed bug where in rare cases, weapons/offhands could disappear from your inventory permanently
- Fixed bug where Armillary Mirrors and/or other Relics with that "never miss" effect could get in a bugged state if you equipped more than one and then unequipped one
- Fixed bug where legendary items could be lost when depositing/selling multiple copies of the same legendary to the same NPC
- Item quantities for items mapped to the hotbar now correctly update every time a UI is closed, such as the cooking UI or inventory
- Spellshift: Penetrate now only applies to Evocations, as intended
- It is no longer possible to die for ANY reason in Riverstone Grove
- Gluttony, Food Lover and similar effects should no longer incorrectly display a healing improvement for non-food healing effects
- When crafting gems with Horatio in town, putting 3 Diamonds will no longer eat them up for nothing in return
- Trees should no longer have negative lifetimes
- The final boss room now has unbreakable walls (was visually/gameplay-wise janky before)
- Various minor performance optimizations
- Fixed bug where certain un-inheritable monster abilities were not ever being used, even by enemy monsters
- Captured level-scaled monsters (such as those caught in Dragon areas) will no longer continuously re-scale on reloading the game
- The game modifier that gives all monsters at least one champion power no longer works on pets (this was causing all kinds of problems)
- Fixed bug with monster ability inheritance, even WITH the latest patch, not behaving quite correctly
- Attempted fix for bug that could cause weird stair loops, bad destinations, and other re-routing problems (as a result of a previous fix for inaccessible stairs)
- Attempted fix for rare NullRef with CleanStuckVisualFX
- Applecan legendary effect should no longer persist from Wanderer’s Journeys, except for ones where you keep your stats on exit
- Gambler innate passives should now work in Ronin mode
- Steel Resolve now works against stuns from “Frozen” as intended
- Fixed game freeze in certain map load situations involving the Frog Dragon dungeon, or Item Dream versions of it
- Fixed bug where gaining or losing set bonuses would sometimes not update your stats or resists correctly until changing maps
- The “Conjuration” magic mod can now be added to an item with elemental damage mods and vice versa
- Fixed bug where the energy shield from “Steadfast” disappeared between maps
- Attempted fix for bug where if you portaled out of an item dream and quit from Riverstone Grove, the dream might be closed
- Cleaned up a variety of oddly-behaving and oddly-sized dialogue boxes for more consistency
- Fixed bug where you could store items in the bank beyond max size
- It was possible to spawn in the Machine Labyrinth with only one exit from the room, covered by a forcefield. You will now find slime parts on first entry to the labyrinth to help you with the first room (if necessary)
- Quite a few attempted fixes for pets disappearing on their (or your) defeat, including fixes to corrupt 1.50+ save data
- Fixed incorrectly labeled elemental Damage/Defense columns on the character sheet
- (Dawn of Dragons) Beastlake Park should now always be enabled and accessible after defeating the Frog Dragon
- Fixed bug where Savage World could not be started after clearing New Game+
- Attempted fix for game hanging on trying to contact challenge server
- Attempted fix for bug where if you died with a pet on Heroic mode, that pet would be gone forever (not intended!!!)
- Fixed bug where equipped relics or relics in inventory would disappear if you died on Adventure mode
- (Legend of Shara) Sorceress job unlock is correctly checked at character creation now.
- Fix for game load issue related to pets
- Fix for game load issue related to corrupt monster and level data
- When trying to attack a monster that is on top of a dangerous destructible tile like an ice block, you should now attack the monster and not the destructible
- Essence Storm should no longer create a non-functional bar beneath the character
- Fixed bug where after returning to title screen from gameplay, you could not create a new character
- Fixed bug where progress was not correctly saved on a heroic or hardcore defeat, leading potentially to pets or items being lost
- Fixed bug where monster letters would appear in Shara mode
- Attempted bug fix for rare issue where items were not properly upgraded after completing a dream, even with full gold entered
- Reduced Glitterskin SFX volume
- Monster relationships should not develop, and trees should not age, in Shara's story
- Fixed rare game hang errors when starting New Game+ or Savage World
- Attempted fix for bug where pets could sometimes be duplicated in the corral
- (Legend of Shara) Fixed Shara mode unlock not working consistently
- (Legend of Shara) Fixed hotbar being available during Shara’s opening flashback
- Fixed visual issue with “Phasma” tiles
- Fixed bug where missing item magic mods could corrupt a save file
- Fixed bug where starting New Game+ or Savage World could delete your active pet
- Fixed bug where if a new monster was created from two parents, the new monster could potentially be deleted or overwritten due to not being assigned a unique ID
- Fixed bug where going to New Game+ with a pet could cause some data issues with the pet
- When abandoning or failing a quest involving appeasing a food-loving monster, that monster’s quest status should now be correctly removed
- (Hopefully) Fixed the constrict/paralyze VFX getting stuck sometimes
- Fixed bug where Doublebite Axe, or items with its special affix, could be “stuck” on one elemental bonus in some situations (i.e. dual wielding with the same mod), or could grant both bonuses simultaneously
- Knocking out a monster in the 2nd Job Trial now counts as removing it from the map for purposes of beating the trial
- Fixed bug where seasonal drops were not working at all
- Another pass at fixing strange behavior with Doublebite Axe mod, dual wielding, weapon switching, stacking (etc!)
- Fixed deep bug that could potentially make certain effects not work if the first effect triggered a second one; for example, using Skewer while being equipped with the Traps magic mod would cause the movement component of Skewer to not work
- Fixed error when loading pets in a New Game Plus or Savage World file; pets were not loaded at the correct XP level sometimes
- Fixed issue where buddied-up corral pets would sometimes disappear and go back to the corral on load
- Fixed some magic mods using wrong data from upcoming patch content
- Fixed Tsukida not accepting Lunar New Year consumable items after collecting them without speaking to him again
- Fixed some music bugs related to Riverstone Camp
- Fixed Ronin mode startup error
- Fixed game freeze on trying to enter certain maps (this was related to LNY bonus monster spawn logic)
- Fixed potential infinite loop bug with the “Traps” magic mod affix
- Added graceful failure if the game tries to write to globalplayerprefs and the file is locked for some reason
- Defeating dirtbeak in one blow from when he has >50% health should no longer spawn a blank dialog box.
- Captured monsters, when first named and Buddied Up with, should no longer have their generic species name
- Updated final boss (first phase) default music to hopefully prevent odd cutscene error
- If you have never done the Escaped Frog mini-quest at the corral, and you also have the Ancient Cube from the first boss fight, the Frog event will now play out *first*.
- Attempted fix for rare issue where game would soft lock after capturing a pet in another file
- Attempted fix for rare issue with gamepad-style options menu where transparencies could get messed up
- Fixed game error related to pets, where if you captured a pet on one file, saved the game and started a new file, the game would soft lock
- Many other minor fixes